To the cultured cannabis user, cannabis has various scents: citrus, berries, wood, diesel, and pine, to name a few. To those who don’t use cannabis, though, cannabis has one smell, and it’s one that’s disliked on a near-universal level. If you live with someone who doesn’t use cannabis or just want your cannabis use to stay under wraps, there are a few different ways to mask the smell of cannabis on your person or inside your home. Read on for our tips.
In your home
If you have an hour
Did your MIL call to announce a surprise visit? Is your boss stopping by for an impromptu chat? No worries- there are a few things you can do to clear out the scent of cannabis in less than an hour. First, open all the doors and windows to get fresh air circulating through your home. If you have a ceiling fan, use it. If you have a box fan, use it. The closer to the window frame you can put the fan, the better.
Empty all ashtrays, trash cans, and place any blankets or towels into the washing machine, even temporarily -- cannabis smoke can get tangled into the thread of fabrics, so removing them from the room can help. Lastly, use an air freshener to freshen up any curtains, couches, or bedding.
If you have a day
With this much time, you have the pick of the litter when it comes to removing the cannabis smell from your home. In addition to the above, you have a few other options, including:
- Incense- If there’s one smell that’s more recognizable than cannabis, it’s incense. Cult-favorite Nag Champa incense is a great option, and with 12 scents in a box, you can mask the smell of cannabis with sandalwood, patchouli, or jasmine, among other classic and not-so-classic scents.
- Scented candles- While burning any scented candle is sure to help, the Cannabolish Smoke Odor Eliminating Candle is specifically crafted to remove cannabis smoke odors. The candle is all-natural, too, so if you have pets or kids, it’s a safe choice.
- Use an odor deodorizer- Everyone remembers the dryer sheets in a paper towel trick, right? That may have worked in college, but there are better ways! One is to use a natural odor deodorizer, like these activated charcoal bags. Bonus: they can be used in your shoes, too.
In an emergency
If your mom is currently knocking on your door and you need to mask the smell of cannabis STAT, pop a bag of popcorn into the microwave and burn it a little bit. The smell of burned popcorn overpowers pretty much everything, so this is a great way to mask the smell of cannabis, and it only takes minutes. Just make sure to keep an eye on it -- you don’t want to draw attention to yourself by accidentally setting off the smoke alarm.
From your person
Don't forget about hygiene
Most people focus on the space in which cannabis was smoked, but cleaning carpets and countertops won’t get rid of the smell if YOU smell like cannabis. Like cigarettes, cannabis leaves its scent on your breath and seeps into your clothes. If you need to get rid of the smell of cannabis, start with yourself: change your clothes, brush your teeth, and use mouthwash. If you have time to take a shower, do that. If you don’t, run dry shampoo through your hair. It’s not the easiest solution, but it’s guaranteed to work.
Invest in scent-proof bags
Did you know that some companies specialize in making odor-absorbing bags? Revelry Supply is one of them, and we’ve recently partnered with them to design an exclusive line of Revelry x CULTA cannabis bags. Ranging in size from small (think: stasher bags) to large (big enough to hold your cannabis and all your toiletries), each bag is smell-proof, water-resistant, and comes with an innovative Carbon Filter System that’s designed to keep the smell in.
For a limited time, CULTA patients can purchase any of the four Revelry x CULTA bags at our online store or our flagship store in Federal Hill, Baltimore. The bags will also be available for purchase at partner dispensaries. If you’re able to get your hands on one, make sure to tag us in your social media posts!
When it comes to covering up the smell of cannabis, there are a few ways you can prevent the smell from happening in the first place. Here are a few:
- Consider other consumption methods- Other intake methods, like vape pens and edibles, will significantly diminish (if not eliminate) the odors associated with smoking.
- Smoke in the shower- Also called a “Hawaiian Hotbox,” creating steam in your bathroom so your smoke gets sucked up into the bathroom fan is a good way to prevent the scent. For some extra odor-masking, place a towel at the bottom of the door and use a strong-smelling body wash.
- Select a strain with light fragrance- Did you know some cannabis strains are naturally less pungent than others? Speak with your budtender and ask about low-odor strains...they may be able to point you in the right direction.
- Smoke outside- This may be obvious, but smoking outside is one of the best ways to prevent the smell of cannabis from permeating into your home and clothing. If you have the option (and it’s legal where you live), take advantage of it.
Finally, another way to prevent the scent of cannabis from entering your home is to cook with it. Read How to Make Cannabutter for Your Homemade Edibles and Top Mistakes When Cooking with Cannabis to learn more about cooking with cannabis.